(2) how many children were on the Child Protection Register in each local authority area in England in each year since 1985-86; and if he will make a statement;
(3) what proportion of the teaching workforce was aged over (a) 40, (b) 50, (c) 55 and (d) 60 years in each year since 1990-91;
(4) what proportion of newly qualified teachers left the profession in each year since 1990-91 to 2006-07; and if he will make a statement;
(5) what (a) proportion and (b) number of head teacher posts were vacant in each reporting period since 1996-97;
(6) which 10 local authorities had the highest vacancy rates for (a) teachers and (b) head teachers in each year since 1996-97 to 2006-07; and if he will make a statement;
(7) what proportion of new (a) primary and (b) secondary school teachers had a degree level qualification in each year since 1996-97 to 2006-07;
(8) what proportion of school classroom assistants have no GCSE qualifications; and if he will make a statement;
(9) what proportion of teachers in secondary schools were on long-term sick leave in each year since 1985-86 to 2006-07; and if he will make a statement;
(10) what number and proportion of children in care were educated in state boarding schools in each year from 1996-97 to 2006-07: and if he will make a statement;
(11) how many pupils there were in (a) pupil referral units and (b) other out-of-school units in each year from 1996 to 2007; and if he will make a statement;
(12) what proportion of teachers were (a) full-time, (b) part-time, (c) occasional, (d) unqualified and (e) on employment-based routes for each year group and for each year from 1996-97 to 2006-07; and what the equivalent expected figures are for 2007-08;
(13) how many unqualified teachers taught in state-funded schools in each year from 1996-97 to 2006-07; how many are expected to teach in such schools in 2007-08; and if he will make a statement;
(14) how many pupils in secondary schools were taught by a teacher without specialist educational qualifications in the subject being taught in (a) physics, (b) chemistry, (c) mathematics, (d) modern foreign languages, (e) technology and (f) music in 2006-07; and if he will make a statement;
(15) what his latest estimates are of the pupil-teacher ratios in (a) all secondary schools and (b) academies; and if he will make a statement.
The information requested is either not available or can be provided only at disproportionate cost.
Information on school workforce has been published in SFR15/2007: “School Workforce in England (including pupil: teacher ratios and pupil: adult ratios), January 2007 (Provisional)”, which was released on 26 April 2007, This is available on the Department's website via the following link: http://www.dfes.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/SFR/s000725/index.shtml and is also available in the Library. This is an annual publication, which includes tables for January 1997 to 2007 on teacher numbers, support staff numbers, teacher vacancies, pupil: teacher ratios (PTRs) and pupil: adult ratios (PARs), teacher ethnicity and teacher sickness absence.
Information from School Census has been published in SFR 16/2007: “Pupil Characteristics and Class Sizes in Maintained Schools in England, January 2007 (Provisional)”, which was released on 26 April 2007. This is available on the Department's website via the following link: http://www.dfes.gov.uk./rsgateway/DB/SFR/s000726/index.shtml and is also available in the Library. This Statistical First Release (SFR) is based upon information collected in the 2007 School Census. It reports provisional findings for the number of pupils by age, gender, free school meal eligibility, ethnicity, first language and SEN (special education needs) together with a range of class size information. Information on Pupil Referral Units can be found in tables 7 and 8.
Information on looked after children has been published in volume: Vweb0l 72007: “Children Looked After by Local Authorities, Year Ending 31 March 2006”, which was released on 29 March 2007. This is available on the Department's website via the following link: http://www.dfes.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/VOL/v000721/index.shtml. This statistical volume provides statistics on children looked after by local authorities. It includes details on overall numbers of looked after children at 31 March, the number of children adopted in 2005-06, the number and qualifications achieved by care leavers in 2005-06 aged 16 and over, the activity of 19-year-old former care leavers, the number of looked after girls who are mothers, information on the distance between home and placement and the method of participation used during the statutory reviews. National table E contains information on the number of looked after children in residential schools.
Information on children on Child Protection Registers can be found in SFR45/2006: “Referrals, Assessments, and Children and Young People on Child Protection Registers, England—year ending 31 March 2006”, which was published on 16 November 2006. This is available on the Department's website via the following link: http://www.dfes.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/SFR/s000692/index.shtml and is also available in the Library.