Skip to main content

Housing: Energy

Volume 464: debated on Monday 15 October 2007

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what estimate her Department has made of the likely annual number of energy performance certificates that will need to be commissioned for (a) Social Homebuy sale, (b) New Build Homebuy sales and (c) Open Market Homebuy sales. (156563)

At present, energy performance certificates (EPCs) are only required for those properties which also require a home information pack (HIP).

Currently all three or more bedroom properties for sale on the open market, including those bought under open market homebuy, require the marketer of the property to provide a HIP. We will roll out to all properties having taken into account market operation and other factors ensuring a smooth implementation. As new build homebuy properties are also marketed, they will also require an EPC in line with the HIP duties.

Sales under the social homebuy scheme to sitting tenants are not subject to the HIP duties and do not currently require an EPC. As we are still rolling out HIPs, it is not yet possible to make an estimate of the number of homebuy properties that the HIP duties will apply to. HIPs will help first-time buyers who will receive the packs for free, giving them extra support as they try to get onto the housing ladder.