Skip to main content

Driving: Licensing

Volume 464: debated on Friday 19 October 2007

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport which (a) identification documents and (b) driving licences are required to receive a full EU driving licence. (159664)

Driving licences issued in the UK conform to the format and standard laid out in the second EC directive on driver licensing (91/439/EEC) and are considered to be EU driving licences.

All applicants for a first driving licence must provide evidence of identity. This is usually a passport but, in instances where a passport is not available, alternative documentation will be considered. If there is any doubt concerning the applicant's identity, a licence will not be issued.

The holder of a full driving licence issued elsewhere within the EU/European economic area may apply to exchange their licence for a full UK licence. Driving licences from the following countries may also be exchanged: Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Faroe Islands, Falkland Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe. Any application to exchange a licence must be accompanied by evidence of identity.

I am unable to comment on the arrangements concerning identification checking for the issue of driving licences elsewhere in the European Union.