Skip to main content

Students: Grants

Volume 468: debated on Monday 3 December 2007

To ask the Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills what assistance is afforded by his Department to UK-based students who wish to travel abroad for short periods to support their studies or career development potential or for volunteering and cannot afford the cost. (169427)

Eligible students studying a course of higher education, who are attending an overseas institution as part of their UK course receive a maximum overseas rate of loan for living costs of £5,375 and receive travel grants to meet the cost of travel within and outside the UK for the purpose of attending the overseas institution. Those who attend their UK institution for less than 10 weeks of the academic year will have their tuition fee reduced by 50 per cent.

Career development loans are also available to individuals who want to undertake learning at institutions outside the UK, as long as they intend to take up employment in the UK, the EU, or the EEA when they complete their course. No specific support is available for volunteering abroad.