Skip to main content

Armed Forces: Divorce

Volume 470: debated on Thursday 10 January 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what his policy is on the provision of support to the former spouses of service personnel following marriage breakdown. (175624)

I refer the hon. Member to the answers I gave him on 17 December 2007, Official Report, column 1024W, and 17 December 2007, Official Report, columns 1029-30W, which described much of the support available to all members of service families experiencing relationship difficulties.

A former spouse of a service person who no longer lives in the service community will receive support from local authorities or devolved administrations who have statutory responsibilities for appropriate services. Also, service charities will often become, or remain, involved in supporting needy cases, including the former spouses of service personnel. For example, SSAFA-Forces Help operates Stepping Stone Homes as transitional assistance specifically for the separated or divorced former dependants of service personnel.