Skip to main content

Higher Education: Applications

Volume 472: debated on Wednesday 5 March 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills what criteria his Department uses to define a university applicant as a home or international student; and what account is taken as to whether they have indefinite leave to remain as opposed to exceptional leave to remain. (189267)

For student support purposes, a “home” student is a person who can demonstrate a specified connection with the UK and satisfy the other eligibility criteria. The specified connection consists of a combination of residence, immigration and in some cases nationality requirements.

Categories of student who may be eligible include those who on the first day of the first academic year of the course are:

settled in the UK within the meaning of the Immigration Act of 1971 (which includes those with indefinite leave to remain) and

persons awarded leave to enter or remain following a failed asylum application (Exceptional Leave to Enter or Remain, Humanitarian Protection or Discretionary Leave) and their family members.

Both categories are required to have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for the three years prior to the start of their course.

Other categories of students may qualify for tuition fee support or full student support provided they satisfy specific EEA/EC legislation requirements or have been awarded refugee status.