Skip to main content


Volume 473: debated on Thursday 13 March 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (1) what steps a jobseeker is required to take to provide proof that he or she is actively seeking work whilst on holiday; (185886)

(2) what the maximum time is that someone on jobseekers allowance may spend on holiday each year;

(3) what requirements there are for a person on jobseeker’s allowance on holiday to register with their local jobcentre whilst on holiday if it is different from their local jobcentre whilst at their normal residential address.

Jobseekers are allowed to go on holiday in Great Britain for two weeks in a 12-month period without having to actively seek work. As they do not need look for work during this period no proof of jobsearch is required. There is also no requirement for the jobseeker to register with the Jobcentre local to their holiday residence while away.

The jobseeker must remain within Great Britain, must be available for work during their absence and must provide information to Jobcentre Plus before leaving home concerning the duration of the absence and details of how they may be contacted while away. They must also be willing and able to return home immediately to take up a job if one is offered.

A jobseeker may take longer and more frequent holidays in a 12-month period if they wish. However, if a jobseeker takes more than two weeks holiday in a 12- month period, they will have to continue to demonstrate that they are available for and actively seeking work and to attend the Jobcentre local to their holiday residence at least fortnightly.