Skip to main content

Councillors: Allowances

Volume 474: debated on Tuesday 1 April 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what requirements local authorities have to establish independent remuneration panels before increasing councillors’ allowances above wage inflation; and what guidelines have been produced on (a) the composition of such panels and (b) how frequently they should report. (194342)

Each local authority is required, under the Local Authorities (Members’ Allowances) England Regulations 2003 to set up and maintain an independent remuneration panel. The independent remuneration panel will make recommendations as it sees fit about the level of basic allowance for all members and the level of special responsibility allowances, and to whom they should be paid.

Advice on establishing independent remuneration panels and their role is contained in “Guidance on Members’ Allowances for Local Authorities in England”