Skip to main content

Council Tax: Armed Forces

Volume 474: debated on Tuesday 1 April 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what liability members of the armed forces, in a single person household which does not have a Ministry of Defence accommodation exemption, have to pay council tax when on active duty overseas. (194293)

The amount that a person is liable to pay in council tax for a financial year is primarily a matter for the relevant billing authority. This amount will be specified in a council tax demand notice issued by the relevant billing authority for the year. However, a single person discount of 25 per cent. is available to those people who live alone.

My right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Defence announced on 28 January 2008 that all service personnel on designated operations overseas will receive a lump sum payment based on the number of days in theatre and worth £140 over a six-month tour to help with the cost of their council tax. This is equivalent to 25 per cent. of the average council tax bill in England for 2007-08.