Skip to main content

Housing: Trade Unions

Volume 474: debated on Monday 21 April 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government whether the (a) Housing and Communities Agency and (b) OfTenant will maintain voluntary recognition established by the Housing Corporation to (i) Unison and (ii) Unite for collective bargaining purposes; and if she will make a statement. (199987)

Staff will transfer from the Housing Corporation to the Homes and Communities Agency and the social housing regulator as though they were transferring under the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006, with their existing terms and conditions of service. The Housing Corporation’s current voluntary recognition agreement with Unison and Unite will transfer to the Homes and Communities Agency and the social housing regulator and will apply to the staff transferred from the Housing Corporation. As the Homes and Communities Agency will inherit staff from a number of transferring bodies with a variety of different staff representation arrangements, it will develop a set of proposals after creation for a unified approach to staff representation. These will then be used to ballot staff on the issue on the basis of continuous and close involvement of the unions and the staff side.

As the social housing regulator will inherit staff only from the Housing Corporation, it will continue the current recognition arrangements of the Housing Corporation.