Skip to main content


Volume 474: debated on Tuesday 22 April 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what guidance his Department issues to (a) UK-registered and (b) Royal Navy ships operating in or passing through areas where there is a risk of piracy on (i) intervention in and (ii) taking active steps to prevent acts of piracy. (199822)

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office does not issue guidance to UK-registered ships in respect of piracy. This is the responsibility of the Department for Transport (DFT), which relies on data supplied by the International Maritime Bureau, a specialised division of the International Chamber of Commerce, and other sources. The DFT also issues guidance on how ships can take steps to avoid being the object of a piracy attack. The Ministry of Defence is responsible for managing the operations of its own vessels.