Skip to main content

Languages: Higher Education

Volume 475: debated on Monday 28 April 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills which English universities require a foreign language GCSE or equivalent qualification as a condition of admission for UK-domiciled undergraduates. (202005)

That information is not collected centrally by the Department. As independent bodies, higher education institutions are free to set their own entry requirements for individual courses. A large number of institutions are now providing Entry Profiles for their courses, to enable potential applicants to clarify the entry criteria for any courses that they may be interested in. It is important that HE institutions publicise the availability of Entry Profiles and that careers advisers take them into account when advising young people on their Options choices at age 13-14.