Skip to main content

Health Services

Volume 475: debated on Tuesday 29 April 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government whether her Department provides health or social care services out of public funds, with reference to the Statement by the Minister of State, Department of Health, in the Health and Social Care Bill Committee, of 17 January 2008, Official Report, column 327. (200217)

My Department does not provide health or social care services, but does provides grant funding for local authorities, through, for example, Formula Grant, which may be used to support local authority social care functions.

There are no plans at present to apply the proposed power in clause 69 of the Health and Social Care Bill, enabling the Care Quality Commission to perform any of its functions in relation to health or social care schemes, to any activities which are within the policy responsibility of my Department.