Skip to main content

Local Authorities: Buildings

Volume 475: debated on Thursday 1 May 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what requirements there are upon a local authority to advertise the sale of a property of which it is disposing. (202560)

Under section 123 of the Local Government Act 1972 and section 233 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, local authorities can dispose of land, including property, in any manner they wish. But if a local authority proposes to dispose of land that is open space, it must publish a notice of its proposals for at least two weeks in a local newspaper and consider any objections received. Open space in this context means any land laid out as a public garden, or used for the purposes of public recreation, or land which is a disused burial ground.