Skip to main content

Floods: Compensation

Volume 475: debated on Monday 12 May 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs whether (a) homeowners, (b) tenants, (c) businesses and (d) farmers are eligible to apply for compensation for flood damage in Selsey. (204979)

There is no general compensation scheme for those who are uninsured, not least because it would be unfair to those who paid for cover. Also, flood defences are provided under permissive powers; there is no legal obligation on the Government to protect property to any given standard, or at all. This has been the policy of successive Governments.

While compensation is not payable for those affected by flooding, grants and loans are available from the Department for Work and Pensions to help those in most need following flooding.