Skip to main content

Medicine: Education

Volume 475: debated on Tuesday 13 May 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what proportion of medical students studying in English medical schools in England gained entry from (a) British and (b) overseas schools in the latest period for which figures are available. (203919)

The Department does not collect this information. However, data on the normal place of residency of students are collected by the Higher Education Funding Council for England. The latest provisional figures for student intakes into English medical schools in the academic year 2007-08 show that of the total 6,292 student intakes, 89 per cent. are normally resident in Great Britain and the remaining 11 per cent. are normally resident overseas (including in Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and Isle of Man). Confirmed figures from the previous three years show that the corresponding percentage of intakes normally resident in Great Britain was 90 per cent.

Source:

Higher Education Funding Council for England Annual Medical and Dental Students Survey