Skip to main content


Volume 476: debated on Thursday 22 May 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what obligations ship owners are under to inform the Maritime and Coastguard Agency of cargoes lost overboard in (a) British and (b) international waters. (207296)

Reporting requirements for the loss of polluting goods, containers or packages overboard are addressed under the Merchant Shipping Vessel Traffic Monitoring and Reporting Requirements) regulations 2004/2110.

All vessels operating in UK controlled waters must inform the Coastguard of any such losses from the vessel itself or of sightings of containers and packages drifting at sea.

For UK vessels operating in international waters a report must be made to the authority of the coastal state of any losses of polluting goods, containers or packages which pose a threat to the coastline or a related interest of that state.