Skip to main content

Carers: Grandparents

Volume 477: debated on Thursday 12 June 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what support is available to grandparents who care full time for their grandchildren. (209802)

[holding answer 9 June 2008]: Grandparents who are responsible for children are able to claim the same benefits as all other persons responsible for children; the exact amounts that they receive will depend upon the individual circumstances of each case.

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what training is available to staff dealing with benefit claims to help them assist grandparents who care for their grandchildren to access appropriate benefits. (209803)

[holding answer 9 June 2008]: There is no specific training for staff when dealing with benefit claims from grandparents who care for grandchildren. In all cases, staff will consider the circumstances of people caring for children and will ensure that they are given the support and guidance required. In many cases this will involve signposting the customer to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs who administer most benefits and allowances for children.