Skip to main content

Employment and Support Allowance

Volume 477: debated on Monday 16 June 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what assessment he has made of the support and assistance available to get Employment and Support Allowance claimants back to work following the introduction of the allowance; and what estimate he has made of expenditure on such assistance. (208623)

Pathways to Work provides a single gateway to financial, employment and health support for people claiming incapacity benefits. Jobcentre Plus led Pathways to Work is currently operating in 40 per cent. of the country. Provider-led Pathways are currently operating in the remaining 60 per cent. In these areas providers have the flexibility to tailor the range of programmes that are available to customers in order to tailor provision to their needs. Pathways to Work forms the back-to-work support element of employment and support allowance.

Planned spending is £300 million in 2008-09, £390 million in 2009-10 and £400 million in 2010-11. Figures provided, particularly for 2009-10 and 2010-11 are indicative allocations based on current assumptions and are subject to change.