Skip to main content

Council Tax

Volume 479: debated on Monday 1 September 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (1) what guidance has been provided to local authorities on the application of the Limitation Act 1980 to repayments by local billing authorities for council tax bills in cases where there has been an error in the banding of a domestic dwelling; (221223)

(2) what her Department’s policy is on the limiting of backdated claims for over-paid council tax in cases where the domestic property was incorrectly banded by the Valuation Office Agency.

Communities and Local Government has issued no guidance to local authorities on this matter. Decisions about the payment of backdated claims for over-paid council tax are a matter for individual billing authorities.