Skip to main content

Armed Forces: Housing

Volume 479: debated on Monday 1 September 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence whether his Department may lease properties where the freehold is owned by Annington Homes to civilians; whether the terms of his Department's contract with Annington Homes prevent long-term leases; and what other restrictions there are on the terms upon which his Department may lease such properties to tenants. (218007)

Service Family Accommodation (SFA) in the UK is primarily provided to house entitled Service personnel and their families. Ministry of Defence (MOD) civilian key staff and some members of the MOD Police also have an entitlement to occupy SFA.

The MOD supports the leasing of temporarily surplus SFA to eligible civilians in accordance with wider Government policies on empty homes, however this can only be done where it does not prejudice the need to provide homes for entitled personnel. The rules on eligibility can be found in the Tri-Service Accommodation Regulations, available online at:

In addition to this, the MOD is currently exploring options regarding the leasing of temporary surplus accommodation.

Where there is no long term requirement for SFA, the properties would be returned to AHL and are normally sold on the open market. The onward sale or disposal of these properties is a matter for the company.