Skip to main content

Departmental Alcoholic Drinks

Volume 479: debated on Monday 29 September 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what measures are in place in his Department to monitor expenditure on alcohol for hospitality purposes. (219601)

Hospitality is intended to cover occasions where there is a need to provide hospitality for others. Hospitality may therefore be provided if it is in the public interest only and necessary for the conduct of departmental business to do so. As a general rule, expenditure on alcohol for hospitality purposes is not allowed. The core-Department’s catering services provider does not hold a licence to serve alcohol. Were alcohol to be purchased for hospitality purposes it should be acquired through formal purchase order, or through the Government Procurement Card, both of which methods are subject to formal authorisation procedures.