Skip to main content

Fireworks: Imports

Volume 481: debated on Tuesday 21 October 2008

To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer what measures are in place to ensure that containers of imported fireworks leaving UK ports of entry are taken directly to the licensed site address provided to HM Revenue and Customs by the importer. (226686)

I have been asked to reply.

Regulation 11 of the Fireworks Regulations 2004 requires all firework importers to notify HM Revenue and Customs of their name and address, the name of the person who is to store the fireworks following importation and the address of the premises at which the fireworks are to be stored following their importation. This information is passed to Suffolk county council trading standards department who act as national co-ordinators and pass this information on to the relevant local authorities and or the Health and Safety Executive to notify them to expect a consignment of fireworks to a company in their area. This trigger should ensure that a company is visited to make sure that the fireworks have arrived.