Skip to main content

Higher Education: Admissions

Volume 482: debated on Wednesday 5 November 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills what proportion of 17 to 20 year olds with (a) A levels, (b) ACVEs, (c) BTEC Level 3, (d) other vocational Level 3 qualifications and (e) advanced apprenticeships entered (i) part-time first degrees and (ii) part-time other undergraduate qualifications in the most recent year for which figures are available. (232402)

The proportion of pupils who gained one or more GCE A-levels in 2003/04, who entered a part-time first degree course at a UK higher education institution aged 18 in 2004/05 or aged 19 in 2005/06, was 0.9 per cent. The proportion who entered a part-time other undergraduate course was 0.6 per cent. In total, 1.5 per cent. entered part-time undergraduate courses.

The proportion of pupils who gained one or more VCE A-levels in 2003/04, who entered a part-time first degree course at a UK higher education institution aged 18 in 2004/05 or aged 19 in 2005/06, was 1.0 per cent. The proportion who entered a part-time other undergraduate course was 0.8 per cent. In total, 1.9 per cent. entered part time undergraduate courses.

Information is not held centrally on the proportion of pupils with BTEC Level 3, vocational qualifications other than VCE A-levels, or Advanced Apprenticeships, who have entered higher education. The data required to determine progression rates to higher education by age 20 are not currently held by DIUS.

Note:

Due to rounding, components may not sum to totals.

Source:

For figures: Linked NPD dataset.