Skip to main content

Immigration Controls: Higher Education

Volume 483: debated on Tuesday 18 November 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether universities will be permitted to be licence holders for sponsored researchers under the points-based migration system. (235945)

[holding answer 17 November 2008]: Under the points-based system, sponsored researchers could come to the UK through the Tier 5: Temporary Workers—Government Authorised Exchange sub-category. The policy framework for this category requires an overarching body to act as sponsor of a scheme, as well as the support of a UK Government Department for the scheme and sponsor. Individual employers are not permitted to act as sponsors of migrants participating in schemes, and universities will not be permitted to become licensed sponsors under this category.