Skip to main content

Maritime Analysis Operations Centre - Narcotics

Volume 485: debated on Tuesday 16 December 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how much funding the Government (a) has contributed to the Maritime Analysis Operations Centre—Narcotics in 2007-08, (b) plans to contribute to the Centre in 2008-09 and (c) plans to contribute in each of the next three years. (241864)

Under the terms of the EC Action Grant, 70 per cent. of the total agreed funding of the centre is provided by the European Commission. The remaining 30 per cent. is divided up between the seven partner countries involved in MAOC (N), which includes the UK.

In accordance with these terms, SOCA has contributed the following cash funding to MAOC (N):

Cash funding (£)

June 2007

23,973

June 2008

4,626

The initial funding of £23,973 (€35,000) was sought from each partner country in advance as a contribution to set up costs. However, the amount sought turned out to be insufficient to fulfil the agreement that the seven partner countries should contribute 30 per cent. of the total funding. The second year's contribution of £4,626 (€5,782) was therefore the additional amount required from each partner country to make up the 30 per cent. of the total grant. The grant will cover MAOC (N) until June 2010, when a second application for funding will be made.

In addition to this funding, SOCA provides three full-time staff to MAOC (N): two on loan and one fully funded by SOCA.

It is not yet possible to provide details of the funding contributions for future years.