Skip to main content

Council Tax: Arrears

Volume 485: debated on Wednesday 17 December 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government whether local authorities may take steps to recover council tax arrears without using private companies. (244149)

The Local Authorities (Contracting Out of Tax Billing, Collection and Enforcement Functions) Order 1996 allows local authorities to contract out the collection and enforcement of council tax. However, it is a matter for each individual local authority whether they do so.