Skip to main content

Identity Cards: Overseas Residence

Volume 485: debated on Wednesday 17 December 2008

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department under what circumstances identity cards will be issued to people resident outside the UK at their time of application. (241655)

[holding answer 9 December 2008]: Section 2(2) of the Identity Cards Act 2006 establishes that people aged 16 and over who are resident in the United Kingdom and people of a prescribed description who have either resided here or are proposing to enter the United Kingdom are entitled to be registered on the National Identity Register and to be issued with an identity card.

For the initial issue of identity cards to British citizens and EEA nationals from the second half of 2009, it is intended to allow airside workers who live abroad but still require a permanent airside pass to be eligible for enrolment in line with the rollout of identity cards agreed for relevant airports.