Skip to main content

Members: Allowances

Volume 486: debated on Monday 12 January 2009

To ask the Leader of the House pursuant to the answer of 5 November 2008, Official Report, column 461W, on hon. Members: allowances, (1) what criteria govern the circumstances under which hon. Members may ask for an advance from the 2009-10 communication allowance allocation; (246729)

(2) from what date hon. Members will be able to ask for a communication allowance advance from the year 2010-11.

The rules on advances of the communications allowance are as set out in the House booklet “The Communications Allowance and the use of House stationery” and the Green Book.

Members who wish to make use of an advance of the allowance must contact the Department of Resources which considers all requests on their merit. In broad terms, any advance of money from a future year should be no more than 10 per cent. of the allowance and be to meet a non-recurring expenditure item.

Members must also demonstrate that they will be able to manage within the reduced cash ceiling in the following year and consent to the recovery of any advances from their salary or the resettlement grant if they cease to be a Member and their allowances are overspent.

To date no advance from the communications allowance for 2009-10 has been requested this year nor were any advances made last year.