Skip to main content

Higher Education: Charities

Volume 486: debated on Monday 12 January 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills (1) how much has been spent on the charitable research projects at higher education institutions which receive funding from the Charity Research Support Fund in each year since its creation; (246248)

(2) what the planned expenditure for the Charity Research Support Fund is for 2009-10.

The Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) provides a Quality Related (QR) block grant for research to higher education institutions. The QR grant is determined by adding together a number of elements—the “charity support element” is calculated by reference to institutions’ levels of charitable research income. The funding that arises from this calculation is distributed to institutions within their overall QR block grant rather than as a separate fund. It is for institutions that receive QR to determine how to use that funding in line with their own priorities.

The amount to be allocated to the charity support element for 2009-10 and any subsequent year will be determined by HEFCE in due course, having regard to the resources available for distribution at the time.

To ask the Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills how much funding has been provided by UK charities for (a) medical research and (b) cancer research in higher education institutions in each of the last five academic years; and what information his Department has on equivalent figures in other European countries for benchmarking purposes. (246249)

Statistics on higher education institutions’ income are collected by the Higher Education Statistics Agency.

Research income received by higher education institutions in England from UK-based charities for the last five academic years for which data are available is shown in the following table.

Income (£ million)











Information is not collected on the type of research that this income was used for.

The Department does not collect equivalent figures from other European countries.