Skip to main content

Travelling People: Caravan Sites

Volume 486: debated on Thursday 15 January 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government with reference to the answer of 22 April 2008, Official Report, column 1903W, on Travelling people: council tax, what guidance has been given to local authorities on whether unauthorised Traveller sites should receive rubbish collection services. (246039)

Local authorities are responsible for the collection and disposal of waste in their local area. Communities and Local Government has not produced guidance on whether unauthorised developments and encampments should receive waste collection services. However, ‘Guidance on Managing Unauthorised Camping’, published in 2004, gives guidance on dealing with waste and fly-tipping when managing an unauthorised encampment, including the use of Codes of Expected Behaviour.

Local authorities may want to consider whether the provision of means to enable Gypsies and Travellers on unauthorised encampments to dispose of their rubbish and waste, for an appropriate fee, is appropriate in individual circumstances. Such action was recommended by the Independent Task Group on Site Provision and Enforcement and could help to minimise costs to the authority.