Skip to main content

Legacy Trust

Volume 486: debated on Monday 19 January 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport what proportion of funding dispersed by the Legacy Trust to date has been spent on (a) cultural and (b) sporting projects. (247573)

The Legacy Trust UK was established with a £40 million endowment from the Big Lottery Fund, the Arts Council England and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport to support a wide range of innovative cultural and sporting activities for all, which celebrate the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic games and leave a lasting legacy in communities throughout the United Kingdom.

While the Legacy Trust UK (LTUK) has made a number of decisions regarding the allocation of their funding, those projects are a long way from completion and it is not possible to give an accurate breakdown of the activities provided at this stage. However, the Trust aim for approximately 70 per cent. of its endowment to be spent on cultural activities, with the remaining 30 per cent. on sports projects.

To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport what projects have received funding from the Legacy Trust of more than £100,000 to date. (247574)

The Legacy Trust UK was established with a £40 million endowment from the Big Lottery Fund, the Arts Council England and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport to support a wide range of innovative cultural and sporting activities for all, which celebrate the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic games and leave a lasting legacy in communities throughout the United Kingdom.

While the Legacy Trust UK (LTUK) has made a number of decisions regarding the allocation of their funding, to date, only the following grants (of above £100,000) have been made to projects:

National Programmes

UK School Games 2008: £2.3 million

LTUK’s other three national programmes are currently under development. Announcements on these programmes will be made throughout 2009.

Nations and Regions Programmes

East Midlands: £140,000

While the LTUK has made decisions on eight of the 12 Nations and Regions grants, totalling over £16 million, these projects are, on the whole, still in a development phase and project expenditure has been minimal. LTUK are waiting for grant recipients to draw down the funds against their four-year business plans.