Skip to main content

Social Security Benefits: Overseas Residence

Volume 488: debated on Monday 23 February 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions to which allowances and benefits UK citizens living in other EU member states and Switzerland may be entitled; and when the Government plans to implement the decisions of the European Court of Justice on the matter. (255298)

[holding answer 9 February 2009]: People who move from the UK to live in other EU member states and Switzerland may continue to receive certain UK social security benefits. For example they continue to be paid some UK contributory benefits such as state pension or bereavement benefit.

UK citizens who live in other states may be able to claim benefits from their state of residence. The exact nature of the benefits they can receive depends on where they have worked, what benefits they receive from the UK, whether they meet the relevant entitlement conditions and how the benefits are covered under the European social security coordination rules. These rules cover benefits for old age, survivors, invalidity, unemployment, industrial injury and prescribed diseases, sickness, maternity, and family.

The UK does not hold detailed information on the benefits systems of other states.

We expect to set out entitlement conditions for those wishing to claim the UK disability benefits from abroad shortly. The Directgov website will be updated at that time: