Skip to main content

Crown Lands and Estates

Volume 488: debated on Tuesday 24 February 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport what his policy is on the upkeep from the public purse of properties owned by the royal family. (248136)

Grant in aid is not provided by the Department for the upkeep of properties owned by members of the royal family in a private capacity. Grant in aid is provided to the royal household annually only to meet the costs of property maintenance, and of utilities telephones and related services at the Occupied Royal Palaces in England, as these are held in trust for the nation by the Queen as sovereign and are used in fulfilling the role and functions of the Head of State. The Occupied Royal Palaces are Buckingham Palace, St. James’s Palace, Clarence House, Marlborough House Mews, the residential and office areas of Kensington Palace, the Royal Mews and Royal Paddocks at Hampton Court, and Windsor Castle and buildings in the Home and Great Parks at Windsor.