Skip to main content

Social Services

Volume 488: debated on Tuesday 3 March 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Health whether care home residents who are in receipt of personal expenses allowance have received (a) the one-off payment of £60 and (b) the one-off payment of £10 to Christmas bonus recipients; and if he will make a statement. (260454)

The Department for Work and Pensions pays the Christmas bonus according to entitlement rules in the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992. To be eligible to receive the Christmas bonus for 2008-09, individuals must be living in the United Kingdom or elsewhere in the European Union or the European economic area and be entitled to receive certain benefits in the week commencing 22 December 2008.

The personal expenses allowance (PEA) is not a benefit but the amount of the resident’s own money which he or she must be left with after charges for residential care have been deducted. People who get PEA only receive the Christmas bonus if they meet the entitlement rules. However, any care home resident who is eligible to receive the Christmas bonus will receive it in full, as it is disregarded from the financial assessment for charging for residential care.

The Department does not hold information on the number of people receiving PEA who have received the Christmas bonus.