Skip to main content

National Insurance Contributions

Volume 490: debated on Friday 27 March 2009

To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer by what means a person can obtain (a) by telephone and (b) by post a list of the years of their working life for which they have made some National Insurance (NI) contributions but not enough for a qualifying year towards their state pension, together with an estimate of the cost of turning each such year into a qualifying year through payment of Class 3 NI contributions where such an option is still available; and if he will make a statement. (267296)

A person can write to HM Revenue and Customs, National Insurance Contributions Office, Longbenton, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE98 1ZZ or telephone the National Insurance Enquiry Helpline on 0845 915 5996 and ask for a statement of their national insurance account. The statement requested will show all of the years on that person's national insurance record and the amounts of national insurance (if any) paid each year. The statement will also identify any years which are not qualifying years because no contributions, or insufficient contributions have been paid and, if voluntary contributions can still be paid the dates by which payments must be made and the amounts payable.

Information is available on The Pensions Service website at:

This information can also be accessed from the HM Revenue and Customs website:

and will be updated before the measure to allow eligible contributions to pay class 3 contributions for additional years comes into force on 6 April 2009.