Skip to main content

Armed Forces: Crime

Volume 490: debated on Monday 30 March 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what (a) compensation and (b) other remedy is available for a British citizen who is the victim of a serious offence committed by a uniformed and on duty member of a visiting force in cases where a certificate of immunity has been submitted to a court under the Visiting Forces Act 1952. (267286)

Under the terms of the NATO Status of Forces Agreement anyone having a claim for loss or damage against a member of a visiting force arising out of actions carried out as part of their official duties should make that claim to the Ministry of Defence Claims branch where it will be considered in the same way as a claim against a member of the UK armed forces.