Skip to main content

Social Fund

Volume 490: debated on Monday 30 March 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions whether recipients of incapacity benefit are eligible to make an application for a social fund loan. (267254)

There are two types of social fund loan payment—budgeting loans and crisis loans.

To be eligible for a budgeting loan a person has to be in receipt of a qualifying income related benefit. The qualifying benefits are: income support; income-based jobseeker’s allowance; income-related employment and support allowance or pension credit.

Crisis loans, paid to help meet an immediate short-term need in an emergency or as a consequence of a disaster are available to anyone, whether or not they are in receipt of a qualifying benefit.