Skip to main content

Bookmakers: Licensing

Volume 491: debated on Monday 20 April 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport what plans he has to regulate the use of betting exchanges as a means of avoiding requirements on bookmakers in relation to licensing and levy contributions. (268213)

[holding answer 1 April 2009]: The operators of betting exchanges located in Great Britain are regulated by, and require a licence from, the Gambling Commission, and are required to contribute to the Horserace Betting Levy. Any person providing facilities for gambling in Great Britain who uses betting exchanges in the course of business requires a remote operating licence from the commission, and any bookmaker who carries on a business which includes horse race betting transactions is required to contribute to the Horserace Betting Levy.

I am aware of some concerns around compliance in this area and my officials are exploring these issues with relevant bodies and licensed operators.