Skip to main content

Armed Forces Pay Review Body

Volume 491: debated on Monday 20 April 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence pursuant to the written ministerial statement of 31 March 2009, Official Report, column 53W, on Armed Forces Pay Review Body, from which budgets he plans to allocate the funding for that component of the pay award which is in excess of his Department’s planning assumptions of 2.5 per cent. referred to at paragraph 2.13 of the 2009 Report of the Armed Forces Pay Review Body. (268939)

The MOD’s planning assumption included a 2.5 per cent. pay bill increase in 2009-10; 2 per cent. for the core pay settlement and 0.5 per cent. for targeted measures. The Armed Forces Pay Review Body’s recommendations, which were accepted in full, provide for a 2.8 per cent. core pay settlement and 0.5 per cent. for targeted measures, bringing the total award to 3.3 per cent. Provision for the additional 0.8 per cent. above the planning assumption, which equates to some £65 million, has been generated from within the Defence programme as a whole during the current planning round.

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what estimate he has made of the additional expenditure by his Department above its 2.5 per cent. financial planning assumption increase necessary fully to implement the recommendations of the Armed Forces Pay Review Body for 2009; and from which sources within the defence budget this funding will be drawn. (269185)

The armed forces Pay Review Body’s recommendations, which were accepted by the MOD in full, provide for a 2.8 per cent. core pay settlement and 0.5 per cent. for targeted measures, bringing the total award to 3.3 per cent. Provision for the additional 0.8 per cent. above the planning assumption, which equates to some £65 million, has been generated from within the Defence programme as a whole during the current planning round.