Skip to main content

Local Government Finance

Volume 491: debated on Wednesday 22 April 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government whether members of local authority independent remuneration panels are required to be resident in the local authority area. (268836)

While there are no specific requirements about residency of remuneration panel members, the statutory guidance issued under the Local Government and Housing Act 1989, to which local authorities must have regard, provides that the members of a council’s remuneration panel should be truly independent, well qualified to discharge the functions of the panel and representative of the diversity of the communities in the local authority’s area.