Skip to main content


Volume 491: debated on Thursday 23 April 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what guidance her Department issues on the land area allocated to a two- or three-bedroom house in a local authority high density housing scheme. (270528)

The Government have no specific existing policy or guidance on the land area for particular local authority housing schemes. However, the Government’s planning policy statement 3: Housing (PPS3) is clear on the need to achieve high quality new housing, including promoting designs and layouts which make efficient use of land, encouraging innovative approaches to help deliver high quality outcomes.

The HCA is continuing to currently operate under the regimes set in place by the Housing Corporation and English Partnerships establishing space standards for new homes funded by the public sector. Current published space standards are based on floor area and not on land area:

The Housing Corporation’s design and quality strategy and standards sets out space and quality standards requirements for all housing projects which receive social housing grant. In addition, the urban design compendium provides guidance and best practice examples of urban design and includes guidance on achieving a range of densities against a range of mixed uses.

The HCA is currently reviewing the benchmarks for high quality urban design, construction and environmental sustainability, including any space standards for new homes funded by the public sector.