Skip to main content

Recreation Spaces

Volume 492: debated on Tuesday 12 May 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what support her Department provides to local authorities to assist them in discharging responsibilities to provide, manage and maintain parks, recreation grounds and other open spaces; and if she will make a statement. (273548)

Public parks and green spaces are primarily funded through revenue support grant provided by Communities and Local Government. Central Government do not prescribe how much should be spent by each local authority on their open spaces; this is a matter for them to determine in line with local priorities.

Communities and Local Government also funds CABE Space, the Government adviser on public space issues, to provide support to all local authorities through advisory services, good practice guidance, campaigns and training. They also help to tackle the retention and recruitment problems that the sector is experiencing and improve the skills mix at the local level; continue to build a supportive evidence base for investment in parks and open spaces; and engage communities in improving their local green spaces.