Skip to main content

Housing: Floods

Volume 493: debated on Monday 8 June 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government which local authorities provide home improvement grants and loans for flood resistance and resilience products. (277403)

This information is not held centrally. The Regulatory Reform (Housing Assistance) (England and Wales) Order 2002 gives local authorities wide powers to provide assistance for repairs, improvements, adaptations and to demolish and re-construct homes. Local authorities must have policies in place setting out how they will use these powers and they must make summaries of their policy available. If they wish to use the funding attached to this for flood resilience measures they can do so without specific instruction.

DEFRA has provided funding for LAs to assist home owners to protect their homes from flooding through the property level flood protection grant scheme.