Skip to main content


Volume 494: debated on Friday 19 June 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs if he will make it his policy to provide a service for the collection and disposal of badger carcases found (a) on land adjacent to individual households and (b) in water courses. (280218)

DEFRA has no plans to provide a service of this nature. Where badger carcases are found on private land, responsibility for their collection and disposal rests with owner/occupiers. Owner/occupiers of property on which there are badger carcases are advised to contact their local authority for advice on appropriate disposal methods. Local authorities have responsibility for collection and disposal from public grounds and non-trunk roads, while the Highways Agency has responsibility for removal from trunk roads. The Environment Agency will consider taking action to remove carcases from water courses if they are causing pollution or flood risk.