Skip to main content

Social Security Benefits: Overseas Residence

Volume 494: debated on Thursday 25 June 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions to which benefits recipients who move to another country in the European Economic Area continue to be entitled when they are no longer resident in the UK; and what rules apply to such recipients. (281742)

[holding answer 23 June 2009]: In general a person moving to reside in another EEA country can take the following benefits with them if they have satisfied the conditions of entitlement:

State retirement pension

Contributory employment and support allowance

Contributory jobseeker’s allowance (JSA)

Bereavement benefits

Industrial injuries benefits

Winter fuel payments

Cash sickness benefits like statutory sick pay, disability living allowance (care component) (DLA), attendance allowance (AA) and carer’s allowance (CA)

Maternity benefits which are based on a period of employment and a level of earnings

The right to retain the benefit is tied to conditions specific to each benefit. For example, as far as JSA is concerned, to qualify in the first place a person would have to have done some work in the UK. It can then be retained for up to three months, provided that person has already qualified for it in the UK and is going to the other member state to look for work and fulfils that country’s job seeking conditions.