Skip to main content

Planning: Renewable Energy

Volume 495: debated on Tuesday 7 July 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what categories of on-shore energy projects will have their planning application dealt with by (a) local authorities, (b) the Marine Management Organisation and (c) the Infrastructure Planning Commission. (283631)

The Infrastructure Planning Commission (IPC) will deal with projects which meet the thresholds in Part 3 of the Planning Act 2008, once these are commenced. Where there is relevant national policy statement, the IPC will examine and determine the application; where no relevant national policy statement is in place, the IPC will examine the application and then report with recommendations to the relevant Secretary of State. On-shore projects falling below those thresholds will in most cases require planning permission from the relevant local planning authority.

We would not normally expect an application for a marine licence to be made to the Marine Management Organisation in relation to on-shore projects.