Skip to main content

Local Government Finance

Volume 496: debated on Thursday 16 July 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what plans he has to allow councils to keep (a) receipts from Right to Buy sales and (b) income from rents from council housing. (286565)

We announced in June that councils can keep capital receipts and rent income from any newly built council homes supported by Social housing grant or funded with the authorities’ own resources. In addition we are currently considering whether there are other types of council housing on which capital receipts and rents should be retained.

My right hon. Friend the Minister for Housing’s statement on 30 June 2009 also announced our intention to reform the council housing finance subsidy system and that we will be consulting on our proposals before the summer recess. This consultation will include a proposal to allow councils to keep all the capital receipts from right to buy, and income from rents.