Skip to main content

Housing: Valuation

Volume 498: debated on Monday 26 October 2009

To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer what the policy of the Valuation Office Agency is on whether unauthorised dwellings which do not have planning permission should be assessed for housing benefit or local housing allowance. (294516)

The local housing allowance is a standard allowance based on the area in which a claimant lives and the number of occupiers in their property, it is not a property specific housing benefit. The Valuation Office Agency's responsibility is to determine the median market rent for the appropriate size properties and provide those determinations to the local authorities each month. It is the responsibility of the local authority to assess housing benefit for individual claimants.