Skip to main content

Rural Areas: Advertising

Volume 498: debated on Wednesday 28 October 2009

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what guidance his Department has issued on the use of mobile advertising billboards in rural areas; and if he will make a statement. (295312)

I have been asked to reply.

Guidance on advertisements alongside motorways and trunk roads, including guidance on advertisements on vehicles parked in fields, verges or in lay-bys is provided in paragraphs 147-148 of CLG Circular 03/2007, “Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) (England) Regulations 2007”.

Outdoor advertisements are controlled by these regulations. Generally, mobile advertising billboards will require the express consent of the local planning authority before they can be displayed. It will be for the relevant local planning authority to determine whether a particular advertisement should be permitted and the most appropriate course of action to take when an advertisement is displayed in contravention of the regulations.